Monday, June 26, 2006

Aunt Dolly's Biscotti Recipe

Aunt Dolly's Biscotti Recipe



Tasting Comments:
Me:
So, so... but am comparing this to a commercially made biscotti
Second Opinion: "this reminds me of a donut taste or something... cinnamon"
Third Opinion: Waiting for the verdict

"Aunt" Dolly is a wonderful lady about 98 years old. Very old world Italian, and proud of it. She is an extended family Aunt to one of my best friends. She carries the name "aunt" with affection. One night, we were up until 2:30 am just trying to find this recipe because it is suppose to be the best biscotti recipe she has. Now, the ony biscotti I have ever had is a Nonni biscotti. They are pretty firm, crisp, and there isn't anything close to be brown on it... even the famou chocolate biscotti. Yet, when I cooked these little gems, they came out soft. And when they came out hard, it was a little too done... not dried out, but burnt out sort of. Some of this COULD be attributed to the lack of detailed instruction. What temperature and how long are they baked? Cooled? Twice baked at what temperature? Therefore, I'm going to take the cookies to Aunt Dolly and ask her about her recipe.

Once again, comparing this biscotti to Noni.. Noni wins hands down. But then again, when I compare 100% fresh mashed potatoes to a recipe made of fresh potatoes mixed with boxed potatoes... I prefer the half real/half boxed concoction. Perhaps it is because I have a skewed palatte.   Having been raised on too many commercial products that is the taste profile from which I compare.  My father, however, who was raised on real potatoes, never boxed, prefers real potatoes.  So let's give Aunt Dolly, a world class Italian, the benefit of the doubt.  Will work on these biscotti more.

These were good cookies, don't get me wrong. Even better if I had melted chocolate on them. But at 12:51 in the morning...they're just okay.



Bowl 1
3 cups flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 TABLEspoons of aniseed
1 3/4 cup of sugar

Bowl 2
6 eggs
1 1/2 stick butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix together bowl 1 and 2. Bake in a greased 15x9 pan.
When done, cool and cut slices and bake again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home